Friday, June 11, 2010

First game of the WORLD CUP TODAY! Blogging about UNITY IN DIVERSITY!

The World Cup begins today in South Africa! I'm sure most of you remember Maxdog of South Africa - our valiant Golden Retriever who is now waiting for his Maxmom at the Bridge. Living Life to the Max is Maxmom's blog that continues on without her precious Maxdog. Filled with great photos of South Africa and pooches Tammy, King Toffee and Tommy, Maxmom is sponsoring a month-long event for those us who would like to get into the South African-World Cup Spirit, UNITY in DIVERSITY. Hit the button on my sidebar to travel to South Africa and Maxmom's blog. There you will find out all about UNITY in DIVERSITY! ALL the cool dogs and cats will be there - you snooze, you loose!


There is still time for you to send Maxmom a note telling her what countries you will support and to grab a button of her blog to show your support. Heck, even if you aren't going to blog about the World Cup, grab a button - they're FREE!
As for myself, I will be blogging about four different countries on the dates that they play. I thought long and hard about how I would tie my posts into writing about dogs. Nearly every county has its own, special dog breed that either originated there or is now an important part of that country's everyday life. A couple of those dogs have played very special parts in my life: Great Pyrenees, German Shepherd Dog, Cocker Spaniel, Golden Retriever (do you know where these breeds were developed and why?). I will also be blogging about a breed that is dear to my heart - one that originated in the country of my ancestors. Along with geographical tidbits I will share a recipe or two from my countries of choice.


I am looking forward to sharing with you my posts and am excited about the prospect of reading 'your take' on the countries that you choose to support, or just blog about, in the coming month.

BAFANA! BAFANA!
 (a South African term of endearment which means 'the Boys')

Mimi's note: I was saddened to learn that Nelson Mandela lost his great-grand-daughter in an auto accident yesterday. As a parent and grandparent, I can imagine how deeply his heart mourns and send my condolences to the Mandela family from Michigan to South Africa.

National Canine Cancer Foundation

16 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

This was all news to me. Thanks for the post. You are a grrrreat furend!!!!

the booker man said...

YAY! for world cup!! me and asa and mama are heading over to miss maxmom's bloggie right now! :)
*woof*
the booker man

Mrs. JP said...

I'm excited to see your posts. Speedbump is part grt pyranese so I'm looking forward to that!
I didn't know about the Mandela's granddaughter---how their hearts must hurt.

♥I am Holly♥ said...

I'll be looking forward to reading your posts!! I know they will be very interesting! I didn't know about Mandela's granddaughter. I am truly sorry to hear about his loss. That is so very sad. Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

Anonymous said...

Wow, you 2 are smart pups, you got is though and I am on my way to visit MaxMom!

Hugs, Tessa

houndstooth said...

We are looking forward to all the posts about Unity in Diversity! I'll bet we'll learn a lot from yours!

Bunny

JacksDad said...

I think you have such fun on your blog!! I love coming to see what new things you've come up with!

Martha said...

We haven't given too much thought to the World Cup but look forward to your posts.
We love the pic of the German Shepherd - awesome.
Our family have been owned by a GSD and adore them.
love
Martha and Bailey xxx

Unknown said...

We can't wait to read about your posts! Yay! The world cup spirit is everywhere :)

Maggie Mae and Max said...

Mom and me are looking forward to your posts too.

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

The Life of Riley said...

Wow - that's a great idea to relate the dogs that are special to you to countries in the World Cup. I look forward to learning things about the other breeds.

Woofs,
Riley (the Golden Retriever)

Lucille said...

Interesting idea...
Only sorry I need to keep to my team till we are in... :)
Look forward to read your new post!!!
Ciao
Lucille the Great Dane from Italy

Rick said...

Alright World Cup! Looking forward to what you have to say.

Sagira said...

Looking forward to the post.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We'll be furry much looking furward to your posts!

BUT then again, we always do!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Piappies World said...

Unity in Diversity is going to be lots of fun. We are feeling the World Cup spirit too and we look forward to sharing posts with you too! Weeeeee

-Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & the Piappies